- Evo-Crete pre-cast blocks are made using Evo-Fibre’s unique polymer fibres to provide reinforcement to our proprietary formula, making them a lightweight alternative to standard concrete.
- Evo-Crete is three times lighter than standard concrete and due to their manufacturing process, can be cast in any shape or size to suit job specifications
- Strong and stable and due to the unique cellular matrix and Evo-Fibre reinforcing won’t crack like concrete, should they suffer accidental impact.
- The material allows for fixing down using self-tapping screws or large batten screws and no pre-drilling is required. A block can be modified using a standard timber handsaw.
2) How can it cut down your project timeframe in one surprisingly simple step?
Lifting and slinging is not required, reduced project timeframes and OH&S manual handling risks. Just a couple of labourers lifting off a ute or truck can run out an entire installation in a fraction of the time. In essence it comes down to smart specification, if what you need to support does not require traditional 32mpa concrete, then specifying Evo-Crete is going to provide huge cost and time savings.
3) What advice would you give to Civil Engineers Specifying Concrete requirements who may be unaware of Evo-crete as an option?
Evo-Crete is the preferred option for cable ladder, tray and pipe supports, as well as any job specification. Reducing OH&S issues due to its lightweight and user friendly properties. Evo-Crete has been specified for job sites including Dowden EDI in Western Australia, a number of cable ladder runs in Victoria and the WRP Site in Ouyen.
4) Pengelly Electrical found significant cost savings using Evo-crete – why was this and can you be specific as to the opportunities to reduce costs?
- Pengelly Electrical are an electrical contractor, with a contract to build the electrical pipeline for the Woornack, Rownack and Pirro (WRP) mine sit in Ouyen, Victoria. Pengelly were advised the mine were planning on using solid concrete for the 600m of cable to be built. The cable was being built for a temporary setup of three years. Pengelly had initial concerns of safety, time constraints and the lifting and handling involved in working with concrete. As such his team searched for a solution and one team member suggested Evo-Crete Cable Ladder Blocks and saving were through numerous avenues.
- Hire costs – no need to hire a crane as no slinging was required
- Labour costs – only two people need to move blocks due to their lightweight nature
- Transport costs – could move blocks easily in large quantities, whereas it is usually 10 on a pallet for normal concrete, they could transport more at once
- Time-saving – a job that would usually take weeks, took only days
5) I understand there are also opportunities to increase (significantly) the speed of installation – how and why is this true?
Movement of the blocks is easier, it takes a maximum of two people to put the blocks in place, no cranes or slinging required, labour can get in and get the job done. More blocks can be loaded onto a vehicle for delivery to site, which cuts down on the cost and time involved with transport. Evo-Crete is so much easier to fix into and modify.
6) You can’t put a price on cutting down the risk of injuries onsite – and site safety as well as a reduction of possible hazards is always number 1 in the minds of HSE professionals at mine-sites – why is Evo-crete a brilliant option here as opposed to traditional concrete blocks?
- Evo-Crete alleviates issues associated with occupational health and safety manual handling risks due to its lightweight and user friendly properties.
- Manual handling risks account for one third of workplace injuries. Evo-Crete provides solutions by eliminating the weight risk, substituting a safer product and re-engineering the installation process. Lifting and slinging is not required, reducing project timeframes and OH&S manual handling risks.
- The sheer weight of concrete is a major direct stressor and an obvious risk which can result in immediate and debilitating injury. Evo-Crete is three times lighter than concrete.
- Evo-Crete Blocks are a safe one or two person lift, dependent on the block size and design required for the project. In any case, the dangers, additional costs, labour and drawn out project timeframes associated with lifting and slinging or pouring concrete footings on site are removed from the installation process.
- Peripheral or secondary risks such as working with machinery, cables, shackles and straps under tension are eliminated and the potential for injuries such as jammed fingers, cuts, bruises and abrasions are greatly reduced.
7) How are Evo-Crete Cable Ladder Blocks gaining a reputation in the mining industry?
Our small Evo-Crete Cable Ladder Blocks have been specified into the APLNG’s well-heads which has now begun installation. They were custom designed for this project and chosen due to their ultra-lightweight and fibre reinforced nature. They have already been proven in small projects such as the Ouyen WRP site and Dowden EDI and now they form part of the large Origin APLNG project. Australia Pacific LNG is the leading producer of coal seam gas (CSG) in Australia and holds the country’s largest CSG reserves position. Australia Pacific LNG is proposing to develop a multi-billion dollar, world-class CSG to LNG export project in Queensland.